10/12/2006

Simple Template for Changing the World

Phil 'Make It Great' Gerbyshak pointed me to Scott 'The Nametag Guy' Ginsberg's free ebook 234 Things I've Learned About Creating, Delivering, and Marketing Speeches. Lots of fun stuff - 8 of the 234 are "Powerpoint Sucks" - should have been more - but one item leapt off the page at me:
"Ask yourself this question: "If everyone in my audience did exactly what I said, what would the world look like?" Once you have the answer, you have a template to follow. Then, just make sure everything you say gives your audience the tools they need to build that world."
Truly inspired advice for speakers, but what about the rest of us?

Managers?
"Ask yourself this question: "If everyone on my team did exactly what I said, what would the world look like?" Once you have the answer, you have a template to follow. Then, just make sure everything you do gives your team the tools they need to build that world."
Parents?
"Ask yourself this question: "If everyone in my family did exactly what I said, what would the world look like?" Once you have the answer, you have a template to follow. Then, just make sure everything you do gives your family the tools they need to build that world."

You get the idea. If you have a vision of a better world, don't just tell people about it. Give them the tools to make it happen! Not sure how to do that?

Why not hire me to help you? Or check out some previous spooky advice. There should be some inspiration in there somewhere, but do think about not just delivering a wonderful vision of the future, but delivering a system for realizing the dream!



posted by Mike at 8:56 PM


2 Comments:

Blogger Phil Gerbyshak said...

Quite a challenge you've left here for managers and parents Mike. While I'm no parent, I am a manager, and I must say, it's tough to keep thinking this way, the right way. I'll keep trying though. Great pick up out of that ebook. There's so much there to learn from. WOW!

5:53 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Phil,

Thanks for the thoughtful comment. I'm working on a longer follow-up post, and I feel the same challenge to the way I've lived my life. But that's the fun of personal development - the bursting of the comfort zone bubble!

Cheers,

Mike

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home