11/09/2006

Be Careful What You Wish For - 1

Niccolo Machiavelli regularly spent evenings channeling and conversing with leaders of ancient times, as he recounted in a letter to a a friend:
"When evening comes, I return home [from work and from the local tavern] and go to my study. On the threshold I strip naked, taking off my muddy, sweaty workaday clothes, and put on the robes of court and palace, and in this graver dress I enter the courts of the ancients and am welcomed by them, and there I taste the food that alone is mine, and for which I was born. And there I make bold to speak to them and ask the motives of their actions, and they, in their humanity reply to me. And for the space of four hours I forget the world, remember no vexation, fear poverty no more, tremble no more at death; I pass indeed into their world."
Apparently Chris Lynch does the same thing, because his interview with Donald Rumsfeld has such a ring of authenticity that he goes to great pains to let people know that it's fictional.
"ALR: But Mr. Secretary are you saying your tenure as Secretary of Defense was ended simply to control news cycles?

Rummy: Goodness no. When all is said and done I will be the longest serving Secretary of Defense in history. All Secretaries of Defense step down. This just happened to be the right time for me and if the President was able to time the announcement to take the wind out the sails of some blowhards well then that's just gravy. The important thing to me is that our brave men and women serving in Iraq and Afghanistan are honored and protected and I think this resignation helps with those ends."


"Oh and the confirmation hearings are a trap for the Democrats. You'd think they would have learned from the Justice Roberts hearings but I guess not."




Beautifully written, Chris. Thanks!



posted by Mike at 5:25 PM


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home